Thursday, February 23, 2017

What works for me.

I have always loved music.  And because music comes with rhythm and beat, naturally, i also love to dance.

My mom tells me when i was still a kid, she & her sister had decked me out in long flouncing skirts with bells at my feet very similar to that of an indian dancer. And like a happy camper i would spend hours swaying, twisting & turning, lost in my own world.  As a side note, my parents probably were very much into hindustani movies during that time, thus the influence lol.

Even now, my body reacts before my mind  does whenever i hear a catchy song.  Of course whether i dance well or not is an entirely different story lol.  I guess it all adds up to the fact that i'm rather light on my feet.  And because i find joy in dancing, it affects others in a positive way.  People at the aerobics studio call me the hyper macik and seem to enjoy my monkeying around 😅

So, since many have been asking me how i am able to maintain my energy level throughout the workouts here are a few of the things that seem to work for me... but please, please do tailor it to suit your own needs.

1.  Most important thing for me is controlled breathing.  No matter how strong u physically are if u do not control ur breathing throughout the session u will end up gasping for breath and getting tired prematurely.  Hours spent on running has taught me to follow a certain tempo when i breathe.  For example 2 strides breathe IN, 2 strides breathe OUT... and to regulate the breathing to suit intensity & pace. Although its not the same for aerobics or dancing, the principle of regulating your breathing throughout the workout still holds.

2.  Keeping a good posture throughout the workout.  Its easy... just push the chest out, tuck the tummy in and keep the back straight.  And whatever moves you execute u must try to maintain that state.  Sometimes people readily bend their backs instead of bending their knees and that will actually cause u backaches as well as disrupt ur breathing.

3.  And knees, the all important knees.  So many of us seem to have knee problems one way or another, and it concerns both the young and the old.  In relation to cardio workouts, all the jumping, twisting and turning could be disastrous for the knees.  And because those are the three things i love to do the most, i had to find a solution that works.  For me everytime i land on my two feet i slightly bend my knees to minimise the impact.  It works to the extent i have come to do it naturally.  Less impact less jarring better on the knees lol.

There are loads of other stuff u can do to maintain your stamina but i'll leave that to mr google.  He'll keep you fully informed on the matter lol. This is just me sharing what works for me.  Hope it helps.

Cheers 💋💋

No comments: